Wednesday, October 25, 2006

How You Know You Can Trust a Volunteer

In the past few years I’ve seen volunteers grow into positions and others not. A key question I always wonder when I meet a volunteer is “can I trust this person?” It’s not my nature to assume just because I’ve been introduced to a volunteer at church I can trust them. Here are several things that I look for.

1) Is this person on time?
2) Is this person reliable?
3) Does this person come prepared?
4) What are others recommendations about this person?
5) How does this person conduct himself or herself while working?
6) Does this person make professional decisions?
7) Is this person eager to improve their skills?

All these are discovered over time and involve trusting someone a little more each time. Nine times out of ten this works and I get a good volunteer that is willing to go the extra mile for the ministry.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I was a hospital volunteer, and I was surprised at the process I had to go through to start actual work. After I filled out the application, I had to give references...which they actually called. Then go through orientation and sign forms explaining that I understood stuff. Apparently even as a volunteer I was also "employed" ... Good stuff it was, well worth the effort to get there.