Friday, October 27, 2006

An Old Radio, New GPS, and a Solution

Recently I stumbled on IO Gears GBS301 Bluetooth Wireless Adapter for RS232 Equipment. I hope this will enable me to connect an i. Treck M3 Bluetooth GPS to my Kenwood TM-D700A. Currently I use a Magellen 315 over a wired RS232 connection to supply position information to my Kenwood. On road trips I like to run an APRS beacon as a warning we’re coming (:

The other day my father, who gave me the M3, asked why I was still using the Magellen 315. I explained to him I didn’t have a way to transfer data from it to my radio. The M3 works extremely well with my Dell Axim X50v using Street Atlas and is allot of fun to play with in that capacity. I am hoping I can use IO Gears device to connect the GPS to my radio for APRS.

If you have any experience with this product let me know what you thing.

No comments: